One of the most important aspects of the building industry is drainage. We are continually on the lookout for piping systems that are long-lasting, lightweight, and have a low danger of leaking. In recent years, plastic pipes have been increasingly popular among engineers, replacing traditional metal pipes.
They are made to facilitate the installation of the water pipe system in the establishment easier. This article will go through the various types of pipes and their benefits and drawbacks. It will also assist you in determining which pipes are required for your future project.
Polypropylene is the main material used in making this type of pipe. PPR pipes are straight and cylindrical pipes made of random copolymer plastic. A continuous extrusion procedure is used in the process of making them. PPR pipe is suitable for use in both hot and cold water and purified drinking water systems. For jointing, heat welding technologies are used.
Pros of PPR Pipes
PPR pipes have a good number of advantages.
- Environmentally friendly, non-toxic, and hygienic. Polyolefin material is a non-toxic, hygienic, and dependable polymer having only carbon and hydrogen atoms in its molecule.
- They can withstand temperatures up to 95°C, and the long-term use temperature is 60°C. It allows PPR pipes to meet the design standards for building water supply and drainage and provide improved thermal insulation.
- They are corrosion resistant making them durable.
- Long service life. Under normal conditions, the pipe system has 50-100 years of service life.
- PPR pipes are lightweight, making them easy to transport from one destination to another.
Cons of PPR Pipes
PPR pipes also have some drawbacks.
- They can withstand high temperatures, but they cannot support long-term temperatures of over 60°C.
- Each part has a specific length and can’t be bent during construction. A significant number of joints will be utilized in the pipeline’s construction if it has a long laying distance or many corners.
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is a type of plastic. It’s a polymer made up of chlorinated hydrocarbons. It is hard and brittle in its native state. It becomes more robust and malleable when coupled with chemicals like plasticizers. Its most common application is in the production of pipes, which are utilized in water supply, plumbing, and irrigation.
Depending on the application, several PVC pipes are utilized as hot or cold water conduits in industrial and commercial settings. For almost 80 years, PVC pipes have been employed in various commercial applications.
When it comes to water supply, PVC pipes are omnipresent. PVC pipes make up nearly all of the water mains. PVC pipes are also used in sanitary sewer systems and large-scale irrigation systems. They are used in plumbing, heating, and cooling system ducts in both the home and commercial sectors.
Pros of PVC Pipes
PVC pipes are so popular in the plumbing industry. Get the reason behind their popularity.
- PVC pipes are heat-resistant and corrosion-free, making them a preferred choice for water transportation and electricity.
- PVC has a low friction coefficient with flowing liquids due to its smooth surface.
- They are light and portable, ideal for laying pipelines across long distances.
- PVC pipes are affordable because they are mass-produced using a relatively simple method.
- They are simple to form into various shapes, making them a versatile material with a wide range of uses.
- They are tough and long-lasting and can withstand a lot of pressure. As a result, they are good for underground pipes and pipes that must carry pressurized fluids.
- PVC’s chemical resistance to chemical interactions with other compounds is a useful chemical feature. This is a guarantee that drinking water and water used for households are transported safely.
Cons of PVC Pipes
Despite all the advantages PVC pipes have, they also have drawbacks.
- The lightweight of PVC pipes can be both a benefit and a drawback. PVC pipes are more likely to crack when dropped or stepped on because they are featherweight.
- PVC pipes may include traces of environmentally hazardous chemicals. Volatile organic compounds are present in the solvents used to connect PVC pipes and fittings.
CPVC is a thermoplastic created by chlorinating polyvinyl chloride resin further. This means it has two carbon atoms bound together, two hydrogen atoms, and two chlorine atoms bonded to this double carbon unit. This molecule joins up with others to generate CPVC polymer chains.
Pros of CPVC Pipes
In the plumbing sector, CPVC pipes are extremely prevalent. This is due to their multiple benefits. Some are:
- Internal and exterior corrosion is eliminated with CPVC pipe and fittings, resulting in fewer process leaks, flow limits, and premature pipe failure.
- CPVC pipes are easy to install.
- When properly installed, a CPVC plumbing system requires little to no maintenance. Furthermore, external pipe coatings are unnecessary because CPVC is impervious to even the worst soil and air conditions.
- The smooth inner surface of the CPVC industrial pipe resists scaling and fouling, reducing friction pressure losses in the fluid flow from the start.
- CPVC is not only safer to install than metal, but it is also safer to use.
Cons of CPVC Pipes
- They have low chemical resistance.
Unplasticized PVC (UPVC) is also referred to as rigid PVC. For cold water plumbing, UPVC pipes and fittings are most typically utilized. They’re light and easy to move around. They provide outstanding mechanical performance, long-term durability, and chemical and UV resistance. Solvent cement is the most common jointing technique for UPVc pressure pipes.
Pros of UPVC Pipes
In the plumbing sector, UPVC pipes are also very common. This is due to the variety of benefits they provide. They include:
- UPVC pipes have excellent electrical protection qualities and are suitable for wire and link protective sleeves.
- UPVC pipes have a lengthy help life and are resistant to maturation, ranging from 30 to 50 years.
- It has excellent physical and mechanical qualities and outstanding corrosive resistance, making it suitable for the substance industry.
- UPVC pipes are lightweight, making them easy to transport from one point to another.
Cons of UPVC Pipes
- UPVC pipes are not suitable for use in high-temperature environments, limiting their application.
A high-density polyethylene pipe (HDPE) is a flexible plastic pipe used to transport fluids and gases. They have successfully replaced main pipelines made of concrete and steel. Because of its strong molecular bond and high level of impermeability, it is appropriate for high-pressure pipelines and is made from the thermoplastic HDPE compound. These pipes are normally heat welded. However, compression jointing is sometimes used as well.
Pros of HDPE Pipes
In the plumbing industry, HDPE pipes are extremely prevalent. This is because they have multiple benefits. Read on.
- HDPE pipes have a proper bending radius, making polyethylene pipe installation simple and requiring fewer fittings.
- HDPE pipes and fittings are resistant to both acidic and basic chemical conditions.
- HDPE pipes are resistant to corrosion, making them ideal for transporting fluids containing insoluble particles.
- They are also safe against rodent damage due to their high stiffness.
- The smooth exterior and interior surfaces of HDPE pipes and ducts allow for reduced frictional resistance to fluid movement. Furthermore, solid particles can easily travel along with the fluids in the pipes.
- The lightness of HDPE makes transportation, installation, and handling a breeze. Furthermore, HDPE pipes may be moved without the use of heavy machinery.
- Because of their high dielectric strength, HDPE pipes are commonly utilized as electrical conduits. Furthermore, no stray electrical currents from the outside can be conveyed.
Cons of HDPE Pipes
- HDPE pipes are flammable.
Up to this point, I believe we all have ideas of different types of pipes, their pros, and their cons up to this point. This will help you pick the right pipe for your next plumbing project. At Tubomart, we offer a wide range of plumbing pipes and products to choose from. Quality is guaranteed when you make your orders with us. Shipping is also done globally at a friendly price. If you have any inquiries or need additional information, contact us.